Street food super stars
Street food is an exciting way to try food from cultures all over the world and, with a sprinkle of creativity, it’s possible to design delicious dishes and expand your taste horizons. This is an opportunity to explore recipes from across the globe, but how can you make sure that your ingredients haven’t travelled as far?
Design a healthy street food dish that celebrates at least one item of British produce as its star ingredient and explain its nutritional benefits and its benefits for the environment.
Alongside your design, we would like you to submit an advertisement for your product that explains its benefits. You could present this as a poster, video, persuasive letter, presentation, speech- however you like!
We’ll be judging the entries based on four criteria: how well you’ve solved the problem, creativity & innovation, the environmental impact of your recipe/dish design and the benefits the recipe/dish will have for farmers and food producers.
- A fully-funded farm visit for up to 35 children from your school.
- Travel and expenses for up to five children and two adults to attend a VIP winners’ event at the House of Commons where you will showcase your Farmvention and receive a unique Farmvention trophy.
- A visit from a professional chef who will teach your whole class how to prepare, cook and plate your winning dish.
- KS1 (Years 1 & 2)
- Lower KS2 (Years 3 & 4)
- Upper KS2 (Years 5 & 6)
All entrants will become certified ‘farmventors’ and receive a reward pack including a certificate and mini prize. Entries close on 23 December 2019.
What might your submission look like?
It’s up to you what your submission looks like and may well depend on the age category. Some ideas we might expect to see are:
- A video showing an explanation of the recipe/dish, any research that has been done and any specific problems the design solves
- Pictures – either hand drawn or digital
- An advertisement or pitch of the final dish
- A PowerPoint or Prezi Presentation
The sky is the limit and we definitely encourage creativity! We can accept most document, image and video file types.
Here are some resources from our friends at the Association for Science Education to get you started: