Farm machine: 2040
Farmers work hard to protect the environment and the National Farmers’ Union have pledged to make farming carbon neutral by 2040.
Design a farming machine for 2040 and explain its benefits for the environment.
Alongside your design, we would like you to submit an advertisement for your product that explains its benefits. You could present this as a poster, video, persuasive letter, presentation, speech- however you like!
We’ll be judging the entries based on four criteria: how well you’ve solved the problem, creativity & innovation, the environmental impact of your design and the benefits the design will have for farmers and food producers.
- A fully-funded farm visit for up to 35 children from your school.
- Travel and expenses for up to five children and two adults to attend a VIP winners’ event at the House of Commons where you will showcase your Farmvention and receive a unique Farmvention trophy.
- £600 of robotics equipment for your school.
There will be 1 winning entry from each of the following categories:
- KS1 (Years 1 & 2)
- Lower KS2 (Years 3 & 4)
- Upper KS2 (Years 5 & 6)
All entrants will become certified ‘farmventors’ and receive a reward pack including a certificate and mini prize. Entries close on 23 December 2019.
What might your submission look like?
It’s up to you what your submission looks like and may well depend on the age category. Some ideas we might expect to see are:
- A video showing an explanation of the design, any research that has been done and any specific problems the design solves
- Pictures – either hand drawn or digital
- An advertisement or pitch of the final design
- A PowerPoint or Prezi Presentation
- Photographs of models/prototypes made using recycled materials, construction toys or robotics kits
The sky is the limit and we definitely encourage creativity! We can accept most document, image and video file types.
Here are some projects from our friends at the Association for Science Education to get you started: